Roblox Design Exercise
I designed a flow for Quora in mobile for this design exercise. Quora is a platform where people can ask and answer questions. Even though it is not a typical social media platform, I wanted to explore and develop some social media feature for it.
Social media apps let people create relationships and connections online with others. For this task, you can draw from any social media app or create your own.
Design a flow for a social media phone app from after sign up to two users making a mutual connection.
1 - As a user, I want multiple options to discover people who are already on the app, which can include but are not limited to: search, GPS, etc.
2 - As a user, I want to form a mutual connection with people on the app.
Your final output should include an explanation of your design, the research that went into it, your iteration and brainstorming, an interaction flow, as well as the visual design.
Designs should be high-fidelity that show off your UI abilities as well as UX.
Visuals should make use of the included style guide.
After decided on developing social media feature for Quora, I interviewed five people to better understand the needs and requirements. There were two females and three males. One interviewee browses Quora almost everyday, while the rest browse Quora 1-3 times every month.
1. Among those five participants, four of them use Quora regularly, and only one of them signed up with Google account and the rest signed up with Facebook account.
2. Two interviewees mentioned when first signed up, they wanted to follow some influential people as well, besides their current friends. However, they did not know how to find them.
3. Participants also wanted to be able to discover some people might be interesting for them to follow, rather than purely searching names.
Currently, after new users signed up, there is a required step to ask users to select at least 10 topics they are interested in. On the personal profile page, users can view who are following them and whom they are following, but they cannot discover and add new connection on the same page in mobile app. They can only add new connection by viewing on someone's profile and click on "follow".
Based on the research and user stories, I brainstormed on how users can discover and add connections besides searching the names.
There are three types of connections could be made on Quora:
1. Based on users' other social media platform, such as Facebook friends, contacts, people nearby with similarities, and etc.
2. Based on interested topics. Currently, new users are required to select at least 10 topics they are interested in when they first sign up. In this way, people who answered the most questions, people get the most upvotes, or people who are "influential" or have high "reputation" measured by other metrics, in interested topics will be suggested to new users.
3. Based on questions. On Quora, users can browse, follow, answer and ask questions. According to users activities, people who also browsed, followed, or answered same questions, as well as people who asked similar questions will be suggested to user.
Since Type 3 connections is based on users activities, this type of connection will not be suggested to new users right after they signed up.
Currently, users can make connections on Quora through searching the name of the user, and Quora only suggests account who are already existing connections on other social media platforms to users. For example, if users signed up with Facebook accounts, Quora will only suggest their Facebook friends who are also on Quora.
I designed two flows where users can discover and add new connections using Quora mobile app. Right after signed up, only Type 1 and 2 connections will be suggested to new users. All three types of connections will be suggested on personal profile page, since Type 3 is based on users' activities and users need to browse, ask or follow questions for the system to come up with suggested connections.
Using Quora design guidelines for layouts and icons, and Roblox design guidelines for typography and color, I developed wireframes for the new feature.
1. Through brainstorming, I identified three types of connections. Type 1 and Type 2 will be suggested to users when they first signed up. Type 3 will be suggested to users after they browsed, asked, or answered any questions.
2. Color use. I used color "#E2231A", since it is the color that closet to current Quora color while also in Roblox design guidelines. During signing up phase( first three screens), color will not be largely used and after users signed up, color will be used to differentiate different status or process.
3. Currently, there is only way to add connections on Quora. I explored and designed other opportunities to discover and add connections during different phases.
4. My design is based on Quora design guidelines for layouts and icons, and Roblox design guidelines for typography and color.